Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Did You Know...

that 3 pounds of greens yields about 2 pints of frozen greens!

This afternoon I washed turnip greens 3 times - making sure all dirt and grit were off - then blanching them in boiling water for 2 minutes - then into freezer bags!

Yesterday afternoon I picked a bag full of turnips and greens (about 1/4 of the row) - I thought it was a good amount to start with - and if need be I could always pick more from the garden - that idea was scratched because it rain ALL day today. So the bag full that I picked yesterday turned out to be 2 qt. size freezer bags of turnips & greens - and 3 qt size freezer bags of just cubed turnips.

I still have 1 & 3/4 rows of turnip greens to pick and freeze...I wonder how many quart bags this will make?? You want to guess? Let me see if I can figure out how to put a poll on my blog...some of you have done this...but I never have...so I guess this is the time to learn.

I need to get these picked, washed, and frozen this week...since I am on standby for Grandbaby #14 that is due Nov. 11th...that means baby could come any time and I have to be ready to go!

Well...look I did it...look to your left side of my blog to see my poll...Blogger really makes this so easy to do! Indulge me and take a guess, please:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You probably didn't mean to do it...but this could be a trick question! Do you mean just GREENS or the extra bags of turnips, too? amp

kathylovemeyer said...

No trick questions here...I mean turnips & greens and just turnips too...all inclusive:)

The BIG question is...that I need to pick them all and get busy freezing them so I'll know the answer:)
Thanks to all that have voted so far:)

Don't take yourself too seriously, take God seriously!

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8



Proverb Punch: When things get tough, always remember...faith doesn't get you around trouble, it gets you through it!