Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Beautiful Blue Bluebird Eggs!

How delightful it has been to observe our bluebirds in our backyard! I was a little concerned a few days ago since I had not seen Mr or Mrs Bluebird. I speculated that they had met up with a predator and were dead. I was sad:(

I decided to take one more look at their nest and to my surprise I saw 3 blue eggs! But NO Mr or Mrs Bluebird (BB) in sight! I speculated that Mrs BB had laid her eggs and since she had not returned to sit on them she must have been killed. I was sad:(

I decided to do a google search on "unhatched bluebird eggs". Here is some more info:
*Bluebirds only lay 1 egg per day.
*Bluebirds usually lay 4-7 eggs in all (called a clutch).
*Incubation does not begin until all eggs have been laid, so they will hatch at the same time.
*The nest may not be regularly attended until that time, so do NOT assume it is abandoned! Many times people think a nest is abandoned when it is not! The incubating female is either secretive or is not on the nest as often as you would expect (e.g., because outside temperatures are warm.)
*Incubation typically lasts 12-14 days. The female may wait about a week to start incubating the clutch if weather is still cold.
*The bluebird eggs are rather dull when first laid, but get slick and shiny when they are close to hatching (about 10 days) after being sat on, turned regularly by the mother, and rubbing against each other.
After reading this info I decided to go check the nest again...to my JOY another egg in the nest making the count 4 BB eggs:)

So now I KNOW that Mr and Mrs BB are around patiently laying their eggs and watching their nest. Now I must wait patiently:) I will check the nest tomorrow to see if there is a 5th egg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun!!!!!!

Don't take yourself too seriously, take God seriously!

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8



Proverb Punch: When things get tough, always remember...faith doesn't get you around trouble, it gets you through it!