Friday, September 19, 2008

My Fall Garden...

I have a fall garden...thanks to my daughter in love, Jenny:)
I still have producing:
tomato plants,

bell pepper plants,

pumpkin plants (but no pumpkins, yet - I may have planted them too late - we'll see), turnip greens and one Luffa plant! I planted some other stuff but they did not make it!


You may be asking - What is a luffa plant?!

Well, it is a gourd that is eaten when it is young and tender OR left on the vine to grow large and tough until the first frost...then you harvest them and peel off the outer layer...and you have a sponge like substance to be used as a kitchen sponge or a bath sponge! Really:)


I got these luffa seeds over 10 years ago from my Uncle Bill and never planted them. I found them this year (in my freezer) and planted about 12 seeds...only one plant came up. I plan on harvesting the seeds and planting more of them next year and will just have to see what happens!


Also in the garden, Jenny planted Chinese cabbage, bok choy, and a couple of other leafy plants that I don't remember the name of right now.



The garden really looks beautiful and we are enjoying the fruits of it...
like a dish of turnip greens and corn bread...mmmmmmmm good!
Check out these pics:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful Jenny kept your garden going and planted more food! So happy that you will have them close! Anna Marie

Don't take yourself too seriously, take God seriously!

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8



Proverb Punch: When things get tough, always remember...faith doesn't get you around trouble, it gets you through it!