Wednesday, April 02, 2008

mmmmm...sweet peas!

Here is Camden taking his first taste of homemade sweet peas!

This brings back a childhood memory. I always called these peas "Santa Claus Peas"! Mother told me this is what they were named and if I did NOT eat them then Santa would NOT come to bring me gifts on Christmas Eve! This was mom's way of getting me to eat something I did not like! It worked! To this day they are NOT my favorite but I DO eat them!!

I always called and knew them by this name, not ever thinking otherwise, until about 18 years later when I was a freshman in college (really!!). It was our spring break and I went to Warren's house to spend the week. His mom served sweet peas! I quietly asked Warren for the Santa Claus peas (REALLY)!! I will never live this one down!

I now call them SWEET PEAS!

2 comments:

Gini (Hallquist) Young said...

Ha! I've heard this from my mom as well, so at least you know you aren't alone. THat's fun! love to see all the projects going on around there.

Unknown said...

Julia's oldest daughter has always loved sweet peas. Her name for them is "Ball Beans." All my gang know what that means.
The last year or so when Mother was living with me in Shawnee, I made her some creamed sweet peas. I don't know whether she had ever had them like that but she requested them often after that. Sometimes that's what I call "supper" since I'm only cooking for myself.

Don't take yourself too seriously, take God seriously!

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8



Proverb Punch: When things get tough, always remember...faith doesn't get you around trouble, it gets you through it!