Friday, March 28, 2008

Gardening 101

Here's one way to get some exercise!
Time to start the garden again. I put this garden in last year and had a good crop. I have spent several days getting the dirt tilled for planting. I am thankful for some warm yet windy days to get this accomplished.

I am also thankful for my work horse!



The pic below shows you the size of my garden: 16 ft. x 24 ft. I plan to put in turnip & greens, radish, carrots, onions (3 varities), zucchini, Romaine lettace, swiss chard, green beans, lima beans, spinach, yellow squash, tomatos, and some herbs. Ambitious, I know! Those are sacks of manure to help the garden grow better.

My garden last year produced lots of green beans and tomatos which I froze and we have eaten most of the year. There's nothing like home grown produce! My yellow squash and zucchini did very poorly - the squash bugs got them - ugh! I am going to plant marigolds all around the garden in hope of keeping those bugs OUT! I understand that the smell of these flowers keeps them away - we'll see!

I planned on planting seeds today, but too chilly and windy. Hopefully tomorrow if it is not to cold or rainy. I must get the early growing plants in soon.

I talked to our grandson, Grant, on the telephone today. He asked me if I was going to have a garden. I told him yes, I was. He blessed my day when he said, Yippee, neenee is going to have a garden. Of course he and Za want to help me plant it! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the joys of grandchildren. All the grandchildren enjoyed the garden last spring, especially the pumpkin patch in the fall.

No comments:

Don't take yourself too seriously, take God seriously!

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8



Proverb Punch: When things get tough, always remember...faith doesn't get you around trouble, it gets you through it!